The Japanese government’s unilateral evacuation, despite criticism and opposition, was “an extremely selfish and irresponsible act that disregards the global public interest,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
According to the statement, China protested Japan by condemning the action and demanded that it stop this wrong.
Pointing out that the radioactive wastewater in Fukushima is a major problem with nuclear safety, its impact will cross borders and therefore cannot be seen as a private matter of Japan, the statement said, “If Japan insists on dumping the wastewater into the ocean for the sake of selfish interests, this will affect the people of the region and the whole world. It will be a secondary man-made disaster for him.” evaluation was made.
Reminding that the nuclear accident that occurred in Fukushima 12 years ago caused a great disaster and caused a large amount of radioactive material to leak into the ocean, the statement said, “Japan spills the wastewater into the ocean, spreading the risks to the rest of the world, leaving a legacy for future generations of humanity.” statement was included.
Japan’s plan to discharge into the ocean has failed to prove that it is safe and will not harm the sea, does not address international concerns about the long-term reliability of the treatment plant, the accuracy of data on radioactive wastewater, and the effectiveness of the inspection agreement, the statement said. It was emphasized that necessary measures would be taken to
Japanese Prime Minister Kishida Fumio, in a statement after the cabinet meeting on August 22, announced that the discharge of radioactive waste water from Fukushima to the ocean will begin on August 24.
The operator of the power plant, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), announced in a statement that the unloading process started at 13.00 local time today.
According to the previously announced plan, the company will discharge 7,800 tons of wastewater into the ocean in the next 17 days in the first phase. A total of 31 thousand 200 tons of radioactive waste water is planned to be discharged until March 2024.
Against criticism, Japan argues that the radioactive waste water planned to be discharged into the ocean is diluted with clean water, so that the amount of radioactive material in the water is less than one-40th of what is considered harmful to human health and the environment.
The International Atomic Energy Agency, in its report published on July 4 after its investigations at the power plant, stated that Japan’s waste water discharge plan complied with safety standards.
The tsunami caused by the 9-magnitude earthquake that occurred in March 2011 damaged 3 of the 4 nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Dai-içi Nuclear Power Plant, and the area around the power plant was declared an “evacuation zone” due to the radioactive fallout.